|Throw everything in a bowl - how easy is that!|
|Grilled Veggie Salad - so healthy and delicious.|
|Fresh asparagus - a sure sign of spring!|
|A little salt, pepper and oil and we're ready to go!|
I wanted to serve a healthy salad one night to go with an ahi tuna dish but didn't feel like running out for lettuce and I wanted to prepare it ahead of time. Luckily, I had a bunch of different veggies - peppers, asparagus, beets - that were perfect for grilling. And since grilling brings out a natural sweetness in the vegetables little dressing was needed. I added some creamy feta and, as crazy as it sounds, some pickled ginger to it and it was amazing! You can substitute any other grilling veggie that you have on hand - squash, zucchini, cauliflower, sweet potato etc.
Serves 6 as a side dish
6 sweet peppers
2 large beetd
2 bunches asparagus
2 ounces feta
2 small purple top turnips
2 tbsp pickled ginger, chopped (optional)
extra virgin olive oil
squeeze of a lemon
What to do
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Take washed bell peppers, cut in quarters lengthwise and cutout white veins and seeds. Place on baking sheet (outside skin of pepper facing up) and squish down so peppers are same height.
- Season with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Brush tops of peppers with a good quality olive oil (or just pour it on like I do).
- Broil until skin blisters and peppers soften (5-10 minutes depending on grill). I like to basically charr the top skin.
- Remove from oven and place in bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place to the side so they rest. The peppers will steam inside the bowl which will loosen the charred skin, making it easier to remove them later.)
- Wash asparagus and cut ends a couple of inches if needed.
- Place asparagus in a single layer on pan and again sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss in some oil.
- Broil 3 minutes until one side is starting to char slightly and then carefully turn the asparagus so you can grill the other side.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F.
- Peel beets and turnips.
- Cut into small half inch pieces and place on pan.
- Salt, pepper and oil them.
- Roast until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Chop asparagus into one inch pieces.
- Remove peppers from bowl and carefully remove charred skins.
- Cut peppers into one inch pieces.
- Skin avocado, remove pit and dice into one inch chunks.
- In a large serving bowl, throw in all vegetables including any juices from the pans.
- Add feta, pickled ginger and add a squeeze of lemon.
- Season if required.